Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Darkness 2

 I have been repeatedly listening to a song by Talons', Darkness 2. (I love Talons' and have been listening to his stuff for the last 10+ years).


Musically, I love the development and flow of the whole song.


Lyrically, I find it devastating. 


The lyrics:

"I'm somewhere out in the darkness now
I don't know how long I've been holding the power button down
And when the world starts up again,
I don't know how I even wanna live
But I can't go back
I see it all turn back
At Target it's like a dream, everyone unmasked
Desperately acting like nothing ever happened
Almost overacting, or am I overreacting?

Still can't sleep
Don't wanna double down on my old dreams
Nothing's changed, not even me, really.

And past the darkness there's just emptiness
Despite all my rage, I am still
More than anything I see the absurdity in everything

And all we try to own
Ups and downs, ups and downs
There's not enough time between storms now to try to calm down.
And where is hope now? (x8)"

I remember the first time I heard and understood the lyrics, I was devastated. The final repeating of the line, 'Where is hope now?' made me cry so hard. I actually thought he said "where is home now?" which has particular resonances for me.,


The song is off of his 2022 release, Pandemic Divide. 


It is interesting that I, in this exact moment, discovered that he says hope rather than home. I was just talking to someone about Epimetheus and hope. I was telling them about the final chapter of Illich's Deschooling Society


I absolutely love this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment