Friday, September 25, 2020

From History to Eternity, or the Path to the Field

Parts of contemporary philosophy and psychology are both vexed by the meaning of 'postmodernism'. This afternoon I was on the phone and I glanced at my bookshelf: "Beyond Postmodernism: New dimensions in clinical theory and practice," edited by Roger Frie and Donna Orange (both of whom I admire). Much of my current reading concerns the legacy of postmodernism as it appears in philosophical and clinical thought.


The notion of postmodernism implies that modernity was a real and discernible period of 'history'. It implies that modernity has now passed, and we are now in 'postmodernity'. The unconscious axioms, we are told, have shifted; we live under a new episteme, a new set of 'absolute presuppositions'.


I fear historicist hermeneutics. I fear the idea that we are locked in culturally and historically. I fear the denial of a common human nature.


Esoteric hermeneutics is a hemerneutics now of history, but of eternity. The soul can live forever in its signs, so long as another soul can recognize the life behind those signs.

 

Humanity may not be on a path. We may be in a field. Although development makes this hard to understand entirely. 

 

The beings grow by Nature, but Nature does not grow? This would seem to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment