Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Current Project: Comparing Collingwood and Bergson's Accounts of Freedom

I have made a good deal of progress in a project comparing Collingwood and Bergson's accounts of freedom. The working title is 'Time and Duty: Collingwood’s Collaboration with Bergson’s Account of the Free Act'. In this project I concern myself with most of Collingwood's work, but pay special attention to Part I of The New Leviathan. With Bergson I restrict myself primarily to Time and Free Will, but will draw on Matter and Memory and The Creative Mind as I find appropriate.

The sections that I have completed so far are:

I. Introduction: The Problem of Collingwood’s ‘Influences’
II. Evidence of Collingwood's Collaboration with Bergson
III. The Free Act in Bergson's Time and Free Will
IV. History and Freedom in Collingwood: Part I of The New Leviathan
           IV.1. Chapters 1-6: Mind, Body, and The Here-And-Now of Feeling
           IV.2. Chapters 7-12: Appetite and the Pursuit of the There-and-Then
           IV.3. Chapters 13-18: There-and-Thens, Choice, and the Forms of Reason 

It's all getting away from me and I'm feeling confused. I feel as though I'm losing touch with the arguments as they've been developed. It's still been a nice exercise and I'll continue to work on it.

In any case, here is a link to section II of the project where I analyze Collingwood's references to Bergson is his various works:

II. Evidence of Collingwood's Collaboration with Bergson

No comments:

Post a Comment